Back-to-school tax holiday starts this week
The 2018 Back-to-School sales tax holiday begins this coming Friday, (August 3, 2018), and ends on Sunday, August 5, 2018.
During this sales tax holiday period, Florida law directs that no sales tax or local option tax will be collected on the purchases of:
- Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for $60 or less per item;
- Certain school supplies selling for $15 or less per item.
Note: This sales tax holiday does not apply to:
- Any item of clothing selling for more than $60;
- Any school supply item selling for more than $15;
- Books that are not otherwise exempt;
- Rentals or leases of any eligible items;
- Repairs or alterations of any eligible items; or
- Sales of any eligible items in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport.
Special Note: When a customer purchases an eligible item during the sales tax holiday period, then later exchanges the item for the same item (e.g., different size or different color), no tax would be due even if the exchange is made after the sales tax holiday period.
However: When a customer purchases an eligible item during the sales tax holiday period, then later returns the item and receives credit on the purchase of a different item, the new item purchased is subject to sales tax.
For more information, click here.